A child’s first Communion is a proud moment for families. A First Communion party celebrates a child’s very first receipt of the sacrament of Holy Communion in the Catholic Church. Typically all practicing Catholics are invited to witness the ceremony at mass. Families can then honor this religious occasion with a First Communion party after mass. From invitations to decorations, we’ll provide you with plenty of First Communion Party Ideas.
First Communion Invitations
When it comes to First Communion invitations, PurpleTrail has got you covered with a wide variety of designs. Once you’ve selected the style that’s right for you, it’s time to decide on the invitation wording. Here are a few First Communion invitation wording samples:
The pleasure of your company is requested on June 18th
as our daughter takes her first Holy Communion at Saint Luke’s Catholic Church.
May the Lord give His angels charge over you, to guide you in all your ways.
Please worship and celebrate with us
the first Holy Communion of our son.
Our precious gift from Heaven above
will be welcomed into God’s family with love.
With love and pride we invite you to join us
for the first Holy Communion of our son.
Please share with us this blessed day
as our daughter
receives her First Holy Communion
For more ideas and inspiration for your First Communion invitations, check out this blog post.
First Communion Party Ideas – Decorations
As you’re thinking of First Communion party ideas, remember that traditionally a party after a First Communion is slightly more serious in nature than a birthday party. You’ll be entertaining people from several different generations. Sometimes a First Communion party is held in a church banquet hall after mass, and sometimes it’s held at your home. It can be as informal or as formal as you’d like it to be. Here are some decoration tips and ideas:
- Many First Communions take place during the spring, so decorate with pretty pastels hues. Drape tables in pastel linens and fill vases with fresh flowers.
- For a more formal look, decorate with all white table linens and accessories. Set white lace doilies on the table or string them together and hang them on the walls.
- Create a beautiful centerpiece by placing candles on a cupcake stand, like the one pictured above.
- Frame plenty of pictures of your child, or make a photo collage in the shape of a cross for the wall.
- Set up a small card table with religious coloring books and crayons for young children to entertain themselves.
First Communion Party Ideas – Menu
Depending on the time of your party, you may offer your guests a full lunch or just stick to cake and punch. A nice middle ground is a small buffet table full of snacks and lunch items. Here are a few ideas:
- A fruit tray with homemade fruit dip
- Turkey pinwheels
- Pasta salad
- Mixed greens salad
- Cheese and crackers
- A deli tray, condiments and bread so guests can make sandwiches
- A whole turkey or ham
- Veggies and hummus
- Caesar salad
First Communion Party Ideas – Favors
First Communion party favors are a traditional way of thanking your guests for participating in the celebration. Send them home with something small to remember the occasion. Here are some First Communion party favor ideas:
- An iced sugar cookie with “Thank you” written in icing on top, wrapped in a plastic baggie and tied with a ribbon.
- Cake pops
- Cross bookmarks
- Refrigerator magnets with a special bible verse on them
- Tins of mints
- Candies tied up in pretty bags with ribbon
- Small picture frames
- Cross necklaces
A child’s First Communion is a special occasion worthy of a beautiful party with your loved ones. We hope our First Communion party ideas have helped you celebrate this special milestone in your child’s life.