Christmas party themes can turn a standard holiday party into an awesome yearly tradition – especially if you make it creative! How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a favorite tale this time of year. Not only is the TV special a definite “not-to-miss” event each year, but the movie version is also a hoot. Theres something to the Grinch! Your school-aged kids may want to make it a part of their holiday celebration this year whether it is their birthday or not.
Make up your guests to look like the Whos in Who-ville! Have three stations set up for when your guests arrive to make this transformation Ę‚,¨‚ÄĚ hair, nails, and makeup. (Girls will especially like these stations, while the boys may just be interested in the hair do.) Using hairspray, curling irons, clips, and gel, make their hairstyles into those of the Who and continue with nails and cheeky makeup.
Play the How the Grinch Stole Christmas movie or TV program. Read this classic Dr. Seuss tale aloud.
Play the How the Grinch Stole Christmas soundtrack in the background, or have a sing-a-long.
Make antlers for the Grinchs Dog, Max.
Hold a Grinch Trivia Quiz. Here are some sample questions:
- What is the dogs name?
- Where does the Grinch live?
- What is the main reason the Grinch hates Christmas?
- Where do the Whos live?
- What materials did the Grinch use to make his coat & hat?
- How many times does the Grinch get stuck in the chimney?
- How long was the Grinch stuck?
- Why did the Grinch think he could go down the chimney?
- The Who Children will dance with what tied to their heels on Christmas day?
- Who was the only Who who saw the Grinch on Christmas Eve?
- How much do the Whos like Christmas?
- While raiding the refrigerator, the Grinch took the last can of what?
- What did the dog do before the Grinch tied him to the front of the sleigh?
- What did the Grinch use to fasten the horn on the dogs head?
- Where did the Grinch stop first?
- How did the Grinch get the idea to dress up as Santa?
- Where did the Grinch tell the Who he was taking the Christmas tree?
- What did the Grinch leave on the walls?
- What was the last thing the Grinch took?
- After eating their Christmas meal, what do the Whos do that the Grinch hates?
- What is the name of the Mount where the Grinch took the Whos Christmas, and how high was it?
- What did the Grinch do at the Whos Christmas feast?
Have an Undecorate the Tree Relay Race. See how fast the kids can undo the trees of Whoville. Set up a series of small decorated trees for this race.
Have a Present Stealing Relay Race. Using empty boxes as the kids sleighs, have the kids steal away the “presents” as fast as can be done on their sleighs. You can have a bunch of decorations, small boxes, etc. to serve as the holiday goodies.
Everyone knows that the Who holiday feast includes Roast Beast and Who-Pudding. If you are looking for menu ideas, have a small roast that sits at a carving station in your kitchen, as well as a pudding. This can be a chocolate pudding, easy to make and kids love it, or a fancy steamed pudding cake for the holidays, much more extravagant, but worth it. Make your party table fancy for the feast. Using a real tablecloth may be just the trick. If you have Grinch stuffed animals, ornaments, or pictures, place them on the table as well.
Enjoy a Grinch Cake Walk. Set out large, green Grinch footprints made from green construction paper. Place numbers on each one. Set the music to play and have the kids march around on the footprints. When the music stops, draw a number and the kid standing on that numbered footprint wins a green cupcake. The contest continues until everyone has enjoyed some cake.
Send the kids home with their set of antlers and a small tree that they have decorated to symbolize the Grinchs new outlook and his large heart.
Have a Grinchy time.
Submitted by Lisa Kothari
Shop PurpleTrail’s amazing collection of holiday party invitations