Throwing a housewarming is one of the best excuses to put on a gathering with friends and family. Next time you are sending out housewarming party invitations here are some tips for keeping, it low-key and stress free. It’s always great to host a potluck style housewarming to take some of the stress of the new homeowner! When it comes to the drinks, ultimately the host should provide them. We’ve put together some tips to help you organize the bar.
- Keep the drinks and the food separate. This way people won’t hover around one area. You want to show off, your fabulous new digs, so encourage people to walk around. Ideally, you want to keep the drink area over a non-carpeted floor for easier spill clean up. If the weather is good, set up the bar outside.
- Distinguish alcohol from non-alcohol. For example is serving a rum punch, choose something of a completely different color for the non-alcoholic drink, particularly if kids will be attendance.
- The best, bar options are, to offer, wine, beer and a signature cocktail. But if you don’t have the budget, stick to wine and beer. Check out these cocktail ideas , for inspiration.
- Ask someone to bartend. Either a friend or a professional. That way all you have to worry about is showing off your lovely new home, not re-filling.
- Real glassware is always better than disposable. You can rent glassware from restaurant suppliers or consider purchasing and inexpensive set at Ikea.
- If you prefer to go with disposable, consider the cocktail and choose the appropriate style glass (highball, champagne flute, martini). Party stores keep a good stock of a variety of disposable glasses. Plan on at least 2 glasses per person (someone is always losing their drink!)
- Stock up on ice. Figure a pound per person. It is not something you want to run out of!
Have fun and enjoy! Don’t forget to enjoy this celebration of your new home.